Carnegie Science Center delights, educates and inspires through interactive experiences in science and technology. By making science both relevant and fun, the Science Center’s goal is to increase science literacy in the region and motivate young people to seek careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math). The Science Center also serves as a town square for community dialogue on science and its social implications and seeks to showcase regional science and technology advances. One of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, the Science Center is Pittsburgh’s premier science exploration destination, reaching more than 700,000 people annually through its hands-on exhibits, camps, classes and off-site education program.
RESPONSIBILITIES ABSTRACT: This chemistry internship at Carnegie Science Center is a truly unique experience. It provides the opportunity for students of chemistry to demonstrate their excitement for science while honing interpersonal and public speaking skills. This internship is ideal for a student of chemistry who may be considering science education as a career.
• Presenting science demonstrations to visitors of various ages in the Science Theaters and exhibit galleries; preparing the materials, conducting the activities with visitors.
• Supervising and maintaining the chemistry prep room; maintain inventory of chemical supply
• Assisting presenters in preparing chemicals, props, equipment, and supplies for science demonstration programs
• Conducting research in preparation for future science demonstration programs; must prepare a final report and submit to Carnegie Science Center and Internship Advisor.
• Mastering the presentation of three or more large-audience science demonstration programs
• Upholding our commitment to customer service, our mission to provide science education and inspiration, and our commitment to respecting diversity
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted through the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh Job Opportunities Web Site at www.carnegiemuseums.org/opportunities
First time users, click CREATE PROFILE. You must upload, type, or paste your resume and cover letter in the appropriate fields in order to be considered for this position with Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh. When applying for multiple jobs, please keep in mind that our applicant system is only able to maintain a single resume and cover letter in your Applicant Profile. Therefore, we recommend that your application materials be submitted in a general format that will apply to all positions to which you are expressing an interest.
Returning applicants should log in using the previously created account.
Carnegie Museums is an EEO-1 Affirmative Action Employer-M/F/Veteran/Disability.
About Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History
From rock groups to Campbell’s soup, from T. rex to submarine decks—the four Carnegie Museums are home to hundreds of thousands of objects, including some of the world’s great art and the remains of the Earth’s largest prehistoric creatures. They’re home, too, to thousands of exhibition spaces that make us wonder—about our world, the Universe, the past, and the future. Most importantly, they’re the participants and the hosts of daily exploration—onsite, out in the community, and around the world. They are Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Carnegie Science Center, and The Andy Warhol Museum.