U. S. Steel is committed to creating rewarding work environments. As an employee, you will have the opportunity to participate in several of our competitive programs, including:
• A Total Rewards package with competitive salaries and benefits with incentive opportunities for all employees. • A focus on career growth and employee development that will establish not just a job, but a career. • Ongoing training and education to enhance your career opportunities.
U. S. Steel has an immediate opening for a Data Scientist. Primary focus will be in developing scalable R/Shiny and Python based applications which develop on existing code for data mining, statistical analysis and prediction systems that improve process efficiencies about plant operations aligned with the overarching strategic or tactical objectives of the company. The U.S. Steel team works in a highly collaborative, agile environment supporting world-class steelmaking operations.
The successful candidate will collaborate with internal business partners to implement data-driven solutions with measurable business value, supporting the Carnegie Way. The candidate must have experience working within a team environment as well as independently, on multiple projects simultaneously, and work well within deadlines. Proficiency in report generation, query writing, databases, and data visualization is imperative and proven / demonstrable experience in this regard is mandatory. In addition, the candidate must have experience designing, conducting, and interpreting statistical analyses using common statistical software tools (e.g., R, Python, etc.) and techniques (e.g., regression modeling, survival analysis, machine learning, data mining, clustering, kernelized classifiers, neural networks, autoencoders, image / video classification, etc.). Experience with R/Shiny for big-data analysis built upon structured (SQL / Oracle EBS) and unstructured (data lakes / Hadoop) file systems is a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with image processing / video processing experience, experience with internet-of-things and streaming data as well as OSISoft Pi Historian and its equivalent WebAPI Service.
• Build upon statistical models for data analysis of complex manufacturing processes by facilitating automation, perform parameter optimization and machine learning model re-training, including setup and maintenance of back-end infrastructure to facilitate ongoing operation of the same, both on-premises as well as on the cloud (AWS or Azure) • Develop and deploy predictive and prescriptive analytic solutions in R/Python, in teams adopting an Agile Software Development methodology • Develop analytics to address customer needs and opportunities • Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis • Enhance data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems • Perform rapid ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner starting with structured or unstructured datasets • Keep up-to-date with latest technology trends
PREFERRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Master’s degree in Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Information Science, Data Sciences, or related field (including Statistics, Data Science, Mathematics, Information Science, Engineering • Data mining knowledge that spans a range of disciplines • Track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and of conducting error/deviation analysis • Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations • Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc. • Experience with statistical modelling / machine learning • The motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. • Strong attention to detail • Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
BUSINESS CONTRIBUTION/IMPACT & LEADERSHIP (only applies to exempt job - please provide quantitative data):
• Interact and collaborate with employees at different levels of the organization • Varying degree of input relating to application solutions that could have significant ROI impact to the corporation • Contributions to cost avoidance/savings could range from several thousand to tens of thousands of dollars
WORK ENVIRONMENT/ PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Complex, fast-changing office environment with multiple priorities
This is a mix bag of (heavy) statistics and programming. MINIMUM EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline with 2-3 years of prior equivalent work experience in data analysis in lieu of an advanced degree. Preferred candidate will have a Masters degree and experience with adopting tools for Machine Learning and Image Analysis to develop models capable of facilitating process automation and/or presenting production-grade models for consumption via API services • Proven expertise in leveraging statistics, machine learning, algorithms and advanced mathematics to solve engineering problems • 2+ years of hands-on experience in data analytics • Working knowledge of statistics and programming applied to autoregressive and vector autoregressive predictive modeling problems involving time-series data • Experience working in data mining or natural language processing • Demonstrated skill in the use of one or more analytic, visualization and data querying software tools or languages (e.g., R/Shiny, Python, Java, Tableau, D3, SQL, Hive / Hadoop) • Demonstrated skill at data cleansing, data quality assessment, and using analytics for data assessment • Demonstrated skill in the use of applied analytics, descriptive statistics, feature extraction and predictive analytics on industrial datasets • Demonstrated skill at data visualization and storytelling for an audience of stakeholders • Ability to work independently • Strong organizational, project, process and time management skills • Excellent communication skills • Ability to think creatively and solve problems
Additional Salary Information: Negotiable based on experience
Internal Number: 9572
About United States Steel
United States Steel Corporation, headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., is an integrated steel producer with major production operations in the United States, Canada and Central Europe and an annual raw steelmaking capability of 27 million net tons. The company manufactures a wide range of value-added steel sheet and tubular products for the automotive, appliance, container, industrial machinery, construction, and oil and gas industries.
U. S. Steel’s integrated steel facilities include Gary Works, which is made up of Gary Works in Gary, Ind., East Chicago Tin in East Chicago, Ind., and Midwest Plant in Portage, Ind.; Great Lakes Works in Ecorse and River Rouge, Mich.; Mon Valley Works, which includes Edgar Thomson Plant and Irvin Plant near Pittsburgh, Pa., and Fairless Plant near Philadelphia, Pa.; Granite City Works in Granite City, Ill.; Fairfield Works in Fairfield, Ala.; U. S. Steel Canada's Lake Erie Works in Nanticoke, Ontario; and U. S. Steel Košice in the Slovak Republic. U. S. Steel is also involved in several steel finishing joint ventures in the United States, Brazil, Canada and Mexico.
U. S. Steel prides itself on being a leader in both process and product technolog...y and has four research and development facilities dedicated to advancing the boundaries of steelmaking: the Research and Technology Center in Munhall, Pa.; the Automotive Center, a research and sales facility in Troy, Mich.; the U. S. Steel Tubular Products Innovation and Technology Center in Houston, Texas; and USSE Research in Košice.