The role of the Data Engineer III is to create a solid foundation of trustworthy data as a strategic enabler of corporate decision-making. This will be achieved through an understanding of business needs, securing appropriate data sources, strategically designing usable data models, and building robust and dependable data pipelines that deliver trustworthy data for enterprise-level applications, systems, business intelligence, reporting and advanced analytics. This individual will act as the primary advocate of data processing, modeling, management, and curation of best practices and methodologies. This role will blend software engineering, data modeling, stream processing, and data management experience and skills.
Strategy & Planning
• Develop and deliver long-term strategic goals for a trustworthy data platform vision and standards in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders
• Create short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall data management platform and roadmap
• Utilize the trusted data platform to design and build supply-chain analytical models for forecasting, demand planning, inventory management, SKU assortment, and pricing
• Establish processes for governing the identification, collection, and use of corporate metadata; take steps to assure metadata accuracy and validity
• Establish methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, timeliness, redundancy, and improvement
• Establish methods and procedures for tracking, managing, and governing master data and reference data
• Conduct data capacity planning, life cycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks
• Create strategies and plans for data security, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and archiving
• Ensure that data strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance
Acquisition & Deployment
• Ensure the success of enterprise-level application rollouts (e.g. ERP, SCM, CRM, PLM, WMS, etc.) through the delivery of and management of trustworthy data
• Liaise with vendors and service providers to select the products or services that best meet company goals
•Develop and automate large scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch, micro-batch, streaming) to support business decisions using trustworthy data
• Oversee the design of the enterprise’s data management framework, and the data pipelines to bring in, process, and create business value out of data
• Design and develop scalable data sets, and data models for business intelligence, reporting, analytics and advanced analytics (machine learning, AI, statistics, etc.)
• Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the organization
• Develop and promote data management methodologies and standards
• Select and implement the appropriate tools, software, applications, and systems to support data technology goals
• Oversee the mapping of data sources, data movement, interfaces, and analytics, with the goal of ensuring data quality
• Collaborate with project managers and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data
• Address data-related problems in regards to systems integration, compatibility, and multiple-platform integration
• Act as a leader and advocate of data engineering and management, including coaching, training, and career development to staff
• Develop and implement key components as needed to create testing criteria in order to guarantee the fidelity and performance of data architecture
• Document the data platform and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture
• Identify and develop opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, information systems, or related field
• Certifications in data architecture or data engineering (e.g. Amazon, Google, Data Science Council of America) a plus
• Knowledge of mathematical optimization for advanced analytics and machine learning a plus
• 2-4 years of work experience as a data engineer, DBA, and software developer (preferably Python, but Java or .NET software ecosystems are acceptable)
• Hands-on experience with data engineering, dataops, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis
• Direct experience in implementing data management processes, procedures, and decision support
• Strong understanding of relational, object, and graph data structures, theories, principles, and practices
• Strong familiarity with metadata management, master data management, reference data management and associated processes
• Hands-on knowledge of enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools
• Demonstrated expertise with repository creation, and data and information system life cycle methodologies
• Experience with business requirements analysis, entity relationship planning, database design, reporting structures, and so on
• Strong understanding of devops, and CI/CD
• Experience with database platforms, including Microsoft (Azure) SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Oracle or similar
• Experience with cloud data warehouse platforms including Snowflake, BigQuery, Redshift, or similar
• Understanding of web services, micro services and container-based orchestration
• Excellent client/user interaction skills to determine requirements
• Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques
• Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
• Ability to withstand prolonged periods sitting at a desk
• Frequent use of upper extremities to perform keyboard functions and work on a computer
About American Textile Company-
For more than 90 years, American Textile Company has focused on bedding that helps you sleep and live better. Our pillows, mattress pads, protectors, blankets, sheets and comforters are on millions of beds across North America and the globe.
American Textile Company is headquartered just outside Pittsburgh in Duquesne, Pennsylvania, and has additional US operations in Georgia, Texas, and Utah, as well as global operations in El Salvador and China.
Why Work at American Textile Company?
At American Textile Company, we help millions of consumers across the globe to sleep more peacefully each night. For over 90 years, our employees have driven our success by living and working with a consistent set of values. We look for people who have ideas that drive growth and innovation, demand quality in everything they do, and foster creativity and ingenuity in themselves and others.
American Textile Company is a rapidly growing global organization.
Positive Change through Personal Involvement
As a family-owned company, American Textile Company believes in taking care of our communities — not only by providing jobs, but also through donations of time ...and money.
“Our family has always been committed to helping others,” says Lance Ruttenberg, CEO. “When my brother Blake and I came into the company, we knew we’d have an opportunity to build on that tradition. It was really important for us to make commitments in the communities in which we work.”
American Textile Company has a passion for helping the communities in which we live and work.